Regulation 89(b) of SI 299 of 2007, as amended by SI 732 of 2007 applies to the workplace and requires that an employer shall ensure that existing electrical installations be tested by a competent person from time to time (periodically), that a report be completed and that all defects found during the testing and inspection be rectified promptly so as to prevent danger.
The ETCI Rules, Chapter 62 covers the requirements to ensure employers adhere to the above regulation:
- Commercial Installations - 5 years.
- Industrial Installations - 3 years.
- Buildings open to the public - 1 year.
- External Installations - 3 years.
- Caravan Parks - 1 year.
- Fire Alarms - 1 year.
- Short Term Installations - 3 months.
- Site Installations - 3 months.